Saturday, January 23, 2010

DRAGON GATE USA: FREEDOM FIGHT PPV REVIEW THAT'S NOT ABOUT MATCHES!

It's only not about matches because everyone and their tag team partner (I modified that old saying to be wrestling themed!!) will talk about them - and for good reason. They were punch-yourself-in-the-head awesome. Literally exhausting to watch. In the best way.

But since errrbody else has the matches covered (PWInsider covered them really well, and tons of people have their own reviews), I just want to mention a couple other things. Starting with this fella:

JON MOXLEY
WHO ARE YOU BUD

I had never seen Moxley up until last night, and I was impressed. Granted, he didn't wrestle. But he did cut a pretty cool (Heath Ledger comparisons will probably be drawn) promo, and momentarily align himself with Brian Kendrick in a neat segment.

What I like about him is that he could totally stand out in a promotion that's all about workrate by having so much personality (or so it seemed just from last night).

I know nothing about this guy, but I felt like he should get some due while the rest of the wrestling blog/twitter/community/etc. will be all over the matches.

Uh... well, which they should be. Shit was bananas.

Also, tonight (actually right now) Dragon Gate USA is taping an event in Chicago with yet another stacked card, pushing them closer by the second to my 2010 prediction.

"FEARLESS" PAY-PER-VIEW TAPING
OPEN THE FREEDOM GATE TITLE MATCH
BxB Hulk defends vs. Dragon Kid
FIP WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH
Masaaki Mochizuki defends vs. Davey Richards
ELIMINATION THREE-WAY TAG TEAM DREAM MATCH
Shingo & YAMATO vs. The Young Bucks vs. Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino
TAG TEAM CHALLENGE MATCH
CIMA & Super Crazy vs. Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw
SPECIAL ATTRACTION MATCH #1
Brian Kendrick vs. Jimmy Jacobs
SPECIAL ATTRACTION MATCH #2
Gran Akuma vs. TJP
PLUS
Tommy Dreamer will appear (or, uh... some other "Extreme" "Innovator of Violence")

This card is just completely loaded from top to bottom. I can only hope that someday Dragon Gate makes the trip to Toronto. Or maybe I'll have to make a trip to Dragon Gate.

2 comments:

  1. I've only seen a couple Moxley matches, but he definitely looks like he can go places in the indys. He's definitely become a big favorite on the internet recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I do love me some internet.

    Hopefully he'll keep appearing with Dragon Gate, because I highly doubt that I'm going to seek out any CZW in the near future.

    ReplyDelete