Monday, December 7, 2009

MOMENTS 2009: MARKING OUT FOR TAKER/HBK & REY/JERICHO

Looking back on 2009, two distinct moments stand out for me in terms of watching a live WWE PPV, and they both involve me marking the fuck out like an 11-year old having a Royal Rumble with his action figures (a.k.a. me when I was 15).

WRESTLEMANIA XXV: UNDERTAKER VS. SHAWN MICHAELS
'TAKER NOSEDIVES WITH HIS BRAIN BREAKING HIS FALL

I watched WrestleMania 25 in a group of about ten people, and I think everyone screamed bloody murder when The Undertaker landed completely upside down in a perfect head-first dive to the floor. One moment he was horizontal, the next, he was accordioning himself on the concrete with his head being the point of impact.

After the screaming died out, I'm pretty sure most of us just assumed he was now an actual dead man. It was super scary, and added another (like it needed it) layer of drama to an already classic match, even if it wasn't meant to go that way.

THE BASH: CHRIS JERICHO VS. REY MYSTERIO
JERICHO UNMASKS MYSTERIO

But not quite.

It was a fantastic match through and through, but I was out of my seat for the entire finish. I was had hook, line and sinker for the entire thing. When Jericho swiped Mysterio's mask, I was shocked, then further shocked when Mysterio was still running around the ring, then even further shocked to see a second mask, and by the time I could process it all, Mysterio had Jericho beat.

It was a perfectly executed finish to a near perfect match, with psychology that was executed like a wrestling feud, not a sports entertainment feud.

But the thing I remember most about these two moments was the reaction they gave me. No matter how I'll get sour on WWE, or how much I like ROH, or wrestling that is more about the wrestling than the silliness scripted around it, WWE still found a way to get me out of my seat when I was at home watching a PPV.

Granted, it was really only a couple times a year that that happened... but... yeah. Still counts!

- mitts

No comments:

Post a Comment