Monday, December 21, 2009

LETDOWNS 2009: UNDERTAKER - PUNK FEUD NEVER REALLY HAPPENS

I'm going to write this one up as I watch RAW, since it just had the flattest opening I've seen since LAST WEEK. Moving on.

So... if THIS is the beginning of your feud...


How do you never manage to have a match?!

Yes, they had matches. But they never had THE match. They did have some amazing build up to that first match though. I mean, check this shit out.

So naturally, I was more than psyched for Breaking Point, where I expected a pretty damn sweet match.

WWE BREAKING POINT
CM PUNK VS. THE UNDERTAKER - SUBMISSION MATCH

I get that the idea was to piss people off. But we did not get the main event Punk/Taker match we all wanted to see. But, after a week or so, I could let it slide. The feud was still going on.

SMACKDOWN!
CM PUNK VS. THE UNDERTAKER

This was the middle of the feud. It was okay, but we're looking for the big PPV quality match here. And by this time, the feud took a bizarre turn and was more about Vince, Teddy and Scott Armstrong the nameless referee with a name, then it was about Punk and Taker. Taker was starting to give his ever so bland "im gon take ur soul" promos that didn't help either. And this was that one weird week where he randomly got self conscious and died his beard and sideburns jet black.

But I could let it all slide. Because it was meant to lead to the perfect blowoff...

WWE HELL IN A CELL
CM PUNK VS. THE UNDERTAKER - HELL IN A CELL

Somehow the match opens the show and goes maybe 8 minutes, ending with 'Taker decisively beating Punk. END FEUD.

WTF GUYS.

We can blame it on Undertaker's health. We can blame it on flimsy rumours that Punk mouthed off about what he wears. But the blame game does not give me the epic Undertaker/CM Punk encounter that I was promised when 'Taker used his voodoo evil powers to swap bodies with Jeff Hardy.

I would even tolerate this move if it meant putting either one of the guys in a new, better feud. But it didn't at all. Punk feuded with Scott Armstrong and R-Truth, and the Undertaker just cut vague promos on nobody about how he's taken souls for a few weeks.

This feud just had so much potential, and it evaporated like a fart on a windy day.

I got depressed just writing about this. But, the upside is, RAW has started to redeem itself with a pretty great six-man tag, thanks to Evan Bourne owning souls like Undertaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment