2008 was Jericho's singles year. He transformed himself into an entirely new heel character that was somehow even better than the ones he's played in the past. He won the World Heavyweight Title on two occasions. He was the Superstar of the Year, had the WWE MOTY (er... not counting WM) in his Ladder Match with Shawn Michaels and continuously outdid himself week in and week out on the mic.
How on earth could he have topped himself in '09? He made the Big Show watchable.
Sometimes it's crazy how good he is, and how respected and loved he is by the IWC. I almost think someone said "I bet if you punched a woman in the face and dealt out homophobic slurs in public, you'd still be over." And he did. And he is.
Here's just a small recap of what Chris Jericho did in 2009:
- Disrespected WWE Legends to lead to his Legends' 3-on-1 Match at WrestleMania
- Was clocked by Mickey Rourke
- Had an amazing feud with Rey Mysterio
- Broke his own record for most Intercontinental Championship reigns (9)
- Went into The Bash as IC Champ, came out as co-Unified Tag Team Champions with Edge
- Has been the longest reigning Tag Team Champion in two years
- Made any fish-out-of-water guest host seem entertaining
He won't win, but he deserves the Slammy for Superstar of the Year 2009 next week, in my book (uh, blog). Well, him or Punk, if we're talking about who I've been most entertained by for the entire year. ... That totally sounds so smarky (wahhh only CM Punk and Chris Jericho are good! waah!), but I can't help it.
FOR 2009 SUPERSTAR OF THE YEAR